Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Answers to commonly asked questions about Krytox® Oils and Greases
- Krytox® XHT oils have additional treatment to make them more thermally stable at temperatures over 300 °C (572 °F) and have very high viscosity to withstand such temperatures and provide adequate lubrication.
- Krytox® aerospace oils have more strict volatility specifications and are a narrower distillation than GPL oils.
- Krytox® vacuum pump fluids are distilled to give an excellent vapor pressure and are designed for specific OEM pumps.
- Krytox® linear oils have a better viscosity index and operate over a wider temperature range compared to conventional lubricants.
- Krytox® GPL oils are formulated to provide a cost-effective base oil for industrial applications.
- The Krytox® GPL 10X oil /20X grease series contains no additives and can be used on components that come in contact with most chemicals typically used in industry. Typical applications include valves or bearings, seal barrier fluids, instruments, and oxygen systems.
- The Krytox® GPL 21X series contains molybdenum disulfide for extreme pressure (EP) conditions and should be used for slow speed or extremely heavily loaded applications.
- The Krytox® GPL 22X series contains sodium nitrite corrosion/anti-wear inhibitor; it also improves load-carrying performance and is ideal for corrosive environments. Typical applications are automotive bearings, sealed pump bearings, electric motor bearings and general-purpose bearings.
- The Krytox® GPL 29X greases have extreme pressure (EP) and anticorrosion additives and have been formulated for applications that need both high load-carrying capacity and anticorrosion protection.
- The Krytox® GPL 2EX lubricants are formulated using new anti-rust additives. This grease is similar to the GPL 22X series greases but contains a non-nitrite anticorrosion additive.
Krytox® Performance Lubricants Applications
Automotive: wheel bearing grease, CV joint grease, universal joint grease, fan clutch bearing grease, emission air pump grease, spark plug boot lubricant, weather stripping lubricant, sunroof seal lubricant, clutch throw-out bearing grease, ABS system grease, paint plant conveyor bearings, paint spray system valve lubrication, gasoline pump bearings, windshield wiper motors, oil pressure sensors, truck window lift mechanisms, sintered bearings in motors, leather seats, consoles and trim, flocked and unflocked window seals and channels, door handles, switches, air vents, controls
Aviation: fuel-resistant grease, oxygen-compatible grease, ventilation fan bearing grease, cruise missile rear main bearing lubricant, starter bearing grease, emergency generator bearing grease, missile launch platform gear lubricant, space shuttle lubricant, sealant
Pumps: vacuum pump fluid for corrosive and hazardous service, bearing grease for chemical pumps, O-ring lubricant, barrier fluid between double mechanical seals.
Industrial: corrugator and paper machine bearings, aluminum can manufacturing bearings, vacuum sputtering machines, welding machines, gear oil, linear bearing lubricant, high-temperature fans, cleanrooms, chlorine service, textile equipment, tenter frames, high-speed motors, instrument bearings, sealed-for-life motors, conveyor systems in glass and aluminum plants, textile calender roll bearings, brick kiln car bearings, film blowing machines
Nuclear: submerged sump pump bearings, containment cooling fans, snubbers, control rod drive mechanism fan motors
Valves:lubricant for valve stem packing, relief valve lubricant, O-ring lubricant, steam turbine control valves, low emissions valve stem packing lubricant
Miscellaneous:anti-seize lubricant, bolt thread lubricant, water purifier lubricant, self-contained breathing apparatus lubricant, cryogenic lubricant, vacuum system sealant, drive chains, hydraulic fluids, instrument barrier fluids, heat transfer fluids, geothermal system grease, mold-release agent, fishing reel grease, industrial toast making oven conveyor bearings, windmill gearboxes, glove curing conveyor
* National Lubricating Grease Institute.
Greases can be formulated with different viscosity oils to handle different temperatures and load conditions. High-viscosity oils can be used in greases for high temperatures or heavy loads or low-speed applications. Low-viscosity oils can be used in greases where low-temperature properties are important or speeds are higher. Lower amounts of thickener form softer or more fluid-like greases. Higher solid levels form harder, stiffer greases. Additives are often added to the grease to enhance anticorrosion protection, raise load-carrying ability or help reduce wear. Our standard grease grade is NLGI Grade 2; however, upon request we produce NLGI Grades 000 through 6. For more information on NLGI grade options, please request H-58505, “Krytox® Performance Lubricants Product Overview.”
Characteristics of Krytox® Performance Lubricants
- ISO 9001 Certified Quality Management System
- ISO 14001 Certified Environmental Management System
- MIL-Spec PRF-27617 approved grades for aerospace and aviation use
- NSF H1-certified lubricants approved for incidental food contact
- Independently tested and confirmed for LOX and GOX use by major oxygen manufacturers and certification authorities